Monday 30 November 2009

Miss 8 Loves Her Insects!

Miss 8 is developing a very different personality than we expected. 

I know it's difficult to work out what sort of person your child is going to be from a young age but I think a Mum can pretty much suss out her child's persona very quickly. I guess we kind of need to know because we have to work out what their "currency" is. My sister is working that out for herself with my gorgeous niece Miss 2 (but that is another story). My point here is that Miss 8 has had a bit of a rough start to her life. She (thankfully) is the most independant & sociable of the 3 - but it all could have been so different. This is why this personality quirk of hers just cracks me up.


Read on...


Miss 8's class at school is learning about insects. Discussing spiders. Nurturing worm farms. You know, that sort of lovely creepy crawly thing they do at that age.

She had been at school ALL day and I was picking them up from their classrooms when I heard a very loud shriek from behind me. I turned around to see Miss 8 putting her hand back in her school dress pocket. When I asked her friend (who looked like she was about to faint) what was wrong - she told me Miss 8 had a cockroach in her pocket.



"A cockroach? WHAT!"


Miss 8 (a little defiently too which I kind of liked) pulled out the dead cockroach she had "saved" from the house yesterday (after I had killed it). She had decided, since they were studying Micro Monsters at school, that she would bring it in for show & tell. But the teacher didn't get around to show & tell today, and she forgot all about it sitting in her lovely school dress pocket until the bell had gone for end of school. 


This was when she decided it would be a good idea to show & tell.


It just makes me love her even more. She's not afraid to get her hands dirty. She wants to learn about the icky, gross things in life & nature. She's the kid that will pick up Jelly Fish in the river and freak out everyone else. She will rescue crickets she finds in the house and take them (and their sticky feet) outside. She doesn't care that no other girls do this sort of thing and I think it's absolutely FANTASTIC.


Perhaps she's going to be a Scientist when she grows up.


Or a Greenie...

No comments: