Saturday 13 March 2010

Girl Guides

Last week Miss 8 & Miss 6 joined the Girl Guides.

It was something I never did as a child. In fact I only know of 1 person when we were growing up, that was involved with the Guides movement - and she really didn't do an awful lot to make it appealing!

So off we went, for a trial run, to see if they (or I) would like it. I don't really know an awful lot about the Guides but it looks like I'm going to learn pretty quickly.

They both loved it.

The first time was so funny, I wished I had my video camera with me.

They all got in a circle and said their thing they say at the beginning. I didn't get many of the words (because they were saying it super quickly) but I'm sure we'll get some sort of print out so the girls can recite it too.

Miss 6 spent the entire recitation trying to decide which fingers to hold up, and on which hand. By the time she had the same hand and the same amount of fingers up in the air everyone was leaving!

Miss 8 had the right fingers, on the right hand up immediately, and was pretty determined to say what everyone else was saying. Only she didn't know the words. So she sounded EXACTLY like Mr Bean in the episode where he goes to church and the only words he knew to the hymn was Hallelujah. Every few words she would say something very loudly just so everyone knew she was saying something.

This week we went to the Armadale Reptile Centre which we've been to before. It's a great place to go. The kids love being able to check out all the snakes, see the wombats, talk to the 'roos, gawk at the dingoes and run away from the wedgetailed eagle.

The bit that they all love the most is when they bring out one of the pythons. We've been there before and they've let it slither around on the grass, although they didn't do that this time (Thank GOD).
I understand the reasoning behind bringing the python out. I also understand the best way to get over any fears is to face them, even pat them. But I left that one to the kids. There is no real reason I can see that I would ever need to pat a snake. I have a dog for that Smiley

No comments: