Saturday 9 January 2010

Being Hounded By The Paparazzi...



Miss 8 seems to be a favourite amongst our daily newspaper, The West Australian. This is the second interview they've done with her, their "Miracle Girl". My guess is they have had an awful lot of doom & gloom in the paper the last few months and would really like to have a nice, feel-good story for the front page. So silly old Mum says "Yes" yet again.

Will I ever learn?


The PR person from The Centre For Cerebral Palsy (http://www.tccp.com.au/Home) had rung me while we were on our last day of our best holiday ever, and had asked if I would mind doing a recap interview, to show everyone how well Miss 8 was doing. And in her next breath she admitted that I haven't been very happy with The Centre for the past 2 years, but would I mind still doing it? For Layne's best interests?


So I explained that I had no problem doing interviews and highlighting how well my daughter has done, but I would not (under any circumstances) praise The Centre for their help & support over the past few years because we have had NONE. 

I explained to her that we have been funding our own private therapy for Miss 8 since we have received perhaps 4 sessions over the last 2 years. She knew this because I have made quite a few enquiries as to where our therapy was, and where the funding (that my child is entitled to through her paid membership to The Centre) has gone over that period that pays for her therapy. I've also queried why we can't access that funding and put it towards our own private therapy - to help with the costs. Apparently, this is not how things work there - but they are more than happy for me to get in front of a journalist and praise The Centre for all of the wonderful things they do for everyone - just not for my child. 


She understood that, and I actually thought she was going to ring the newspaper and suggest they try somebody else. Perhaps she did, but they turned up anyway. And, fortunately (or perhaps they were forewarned?) they didn't ask me a single thing about The Centre. 


I wonder what the Channel 9 news crew will ask me when they turn up on my doorstep in half an hour? Will I actually have the balls to say what I want to say - or will I take the usual Amanda road and keep things pleasant and NOT rock the boat. 


Watch tonight at 6pm to find out...

No comments: