Tuesday 22 December 2009

3 Sleeps Left...

Oh what a busy, busy 7 days we have had.

That last week of school was just chaotic - as you ALL would know. It started on the Monday with a phone call from the school saying Miss 6 wasn't feeling well could I come and pick her up?

Sure.

So got her home - "Mum, can I have a towel and a bucket? And can you please put ABC Kids on"?

Miss 6 has a tendancy towards hyperchondria (not too sure where she gets that from...) so I made some hmmm noises and got her the towel & bucket. Then half and hour later she started. And kept going until nearly 9.30 that night. Poor little thing. She just looked exhausted by the time I carried her to be for the last time.

But she was fine the next morning - which was good because her class was having a fun day at school with bouncy castles, face painting and a clown, and she was NOT going to miss that for anything.

Wednesday was Master 4's Pre-Kindy party. That was heaps of fun. First stop was at the icecream van, second stop was to get his face painted just like spiderman's, and finally a visit from the Big Fat Man himself (and of course it had to be my child that loudly let everyone within hearing distance know that this wasn't the real Man but one of his helpers).

At 2.30am Thursday morning I was awakened by a noise.

It's funny how, as a Mum you can wake up immediately on hearing a sound as small as a half cough half dry retch. You can sleep through the sneezes, coughs, snores & other various bodily functions that come from your children, but this small sound can have you out of bed and running to the EXACT right area of the house before you've even woken up properly.It's also funny how, as a Dad, they can sleep right through it all.

There was my poor little man trying bravely (and very unsuccessfully) to not be sick all over my kitchen floor.

That went on until around 4am, until he fell into a very deep sleep. And woke up feeling as right as rain.

I, on the other hand, was feeling very very seedy. I felt like I'd drunk 4 bottles of wine - and anyone that knows me at the moment will remember that I am off drinking almost completely (much to theirs & my disgust). So I dragged all of my healthy children for their last day of school (well, except for Master 4 who has finished his school for this year), dressed in my warmest tracksuit and jumper. I was frozen - and it was 32 degrees celcius. Dropped them off and came back home to bed.

The call came from the school at lunchtime. Miss 8 had decided it was her turn. So up to the school we went to pick up both girls. By then I was starting to feel better, which was good because I needed a strong stomach that afternoon.

And then, to top off a fantastic day - Miss 5 ran into my bedroom, and as the words "Don't run in the house" left my lips, she tripped and fell forehead first into the base of my bed and immediately grew a tennis ball on her brow.

We had a great end to our school year. I guess we've now managed to get rid of all of our bugs so this week will be germ free! We've eaten our chocolate from the Advent Calendars. We've wrapped EVERYTHING we needed to wrap. The prawns are in the freezer. The house is slowly getting organised to cater to 30+ people for Christmas lunch.

I'm really looking forward to having a drink on Christmas Day. This usually wouldn't be a problem for me, but as I mentioned earlier - my body has decided (without any consultation on my part) that I need a break from any alcoholic beverages and water or tea will suffice. I hope my body will understand?

No comments: