Saturday 19 September 2009

A Conversation About Love with Miss 5

"I love you Mummy - do you love me?"
"Yes sweetie"
"Even when you get grumpy with me?"
"Yes Sweetie - of course I love you when I'm grumpy. Just because I'm grumpy doesn't mean I don't love you"
"Even when you're grumpy with Daddy?"
"Yes honey - if you're grumpy with someone and you don't love them then you shouldn't be with them anymore"


This is all happening as I'm trying to say goodnight as she's in bed. You know THAT conversation!


"Do you mean that you can find someone else to love if you don't love that person anymore?"
"Well" (I'm now thinking - how do I get out of this conversation)
"Yes - I could find someone else to love if I didn't love Daddy, but it took SO LONG to find him that I really couldn't be bothered looking again. And I still love him so it's not really a problem"

Phew - got out of that one!

"But Mum, can you really really love another person? Really?"
"Yes honey".
"How did you meet Daddy?"
"At a pub, after I came home from a long holiday"
"Oh goody - when do we go on holiday?"

And that, folks, is how you change the conversation from love & divorce to holidays

Smileys

No comments: