Saturday 6 February 2010

Our Crazy Garden


We have been growing various veges since we moved in together 15 years ago. Last year we decided to remove part of our back lawn and establish a proper vege patch. I even wanted to install a chicken coup and have some lovely free range eggs, but we thought the dog might enjoy that a little too much and didn't really feel the kids were ready for THAT kind of reality check.

The garden has had it's successes and it's failures (as all vege gardens do). We were hugely enthusiastic about it when we started it, but over the winter months our "gung-ho" approach became more of a "bugger, I will give you $100 if you go and water the garden" chore. But we've revived our interest in being a little self-sufficient and sewed a heap of seeds last Autumn.

Himself wanted to grow pumpkins. 

Now, I have watched many gardening shows and I know that pumpkins need room to spread out (much like myself when I sleep) . I did explain that when the seeds turn into pumpkin plants they are going to need space, but was told "it's ok - I know what I'm doing you know!" so I left it to him.

Now, the initial problem with planting our various seedlings was that he did it. Without my knowledge. So he was a little unsure as to which seedling was which (I had them labelled in their trays but...) so they were just planted.

When you plant pumpkin, zucchini & cucumber seedlings - they all look alike. The thing is that cucumber and zucchini really need to be grown on a trellis so they are off the ground. Pumpkin, on the other hand, should NEVER be grown on a trellis, for very obvious reasons.

Have a look at this. It's a very weeny pumpkin. You might take note of where it's growing?

Vertically.

Straight up the fence.
 
 
It is in the process of learning to live on the ground - but apparently pumpkins do enjoy the trellis lifestyle.

Now, on a sadder note. You may have read that we have some fish in a fish pond. They do tend to get replaced on an annual basis because they seem to get a little too much kindness.

Well it seems we may just be waking up tomorrow to a pond full of fish that are floating upside-down.

Again!

Someone in our family - who shall remain anonymous to protect his identity - was trying to add some nutrients to the pond. Nutrients that are kept in a bottle on the top of the beer fridge. Nutrients that are kept in a bottle, right next to the bottle of tea-tree shampoo we use to wash the dog. 

Can you see where I'm going with this?


And the comment I made earlier about trying to shield the kids to the realities of farm life? I'm pretty sure they will be fine. Miss 6 has already made a comment about "another trip to the fish shop"...

     

No comments: