Sunday 21 February 2010

George Michael - Perth Concert

(borrowed from Zimbio, click to see more)

We went in with way too high expectations obviously.

The man looked fantastic (obviously leading a very happy life). He had some very nice moves on the odd occassion he danced. He sang (when he could get through a whole song) beautifully. I loved his policeman outfit - although I'm sure I was not his targetted audience :)

The problem we had (and maybe it was just the 4 of us girls - the people around us remarked it was "by far the BEST concert they had ever been to") was that it was very obvious from the first few songs that he just didn't seem to have the stamina to get through an entire song. You can see by the photo above that he was pointing to us to help him out - which I know is very common at concerts and, don't get me wrong I LOVE LOVE LOVE to let my band/singer of choice know that I can sing as well as them ;), but this happened on every song, and for a good 1/2 of each song - except for a cover of The Police's Roxanne which he sang the whole way through (and did a great job of too).

He seemed to fall into a pattern (which obviously worked very well for him) of 2-3 slow songs and a fast one, followed by a very high stool and another slow one.

The concert started 1 hour later than advertised, and an hour into it he took a 25 minute break, came back on for 4 more songs, one encore that NOBODY recognised as the encore - and I challenge anyone to tell me they knew he was finishing then and there. He said "bye Perth, love you" and walked off never to be seen again. Lights on and away we go!

Very disappointed, although in all fairness to GM it was a horribly humid night and, being indoors it was stifling and he's just come from a nastily cold winter. I think the Promoter has a lot to answer for this concert.

Originally it was to be held at Members Equity which is an outdoor venue. That would have been great (and perhaps we wouldn't  have had to do a heap of the singing ourselves) and I'm certain GM would've felt a whole lot more comfortable onstage than he obviously was last night.

I wouldn't be surprised if we never see him back in WA again.

Boo to the promotors for not looking after us the paying (quite big bucks too I might mention) customers - and the performer. Maybe with your future artists you should try to be a little more concerned about their comfort than the bottom dollar?

To George - I really hope you had a great stay in Perth, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your tour.

No comments: